Tuesday, March 22, 2005

A picture is worth about $3.50

I have a small picture of the GF on my desk at work. We're both in it, and essentially I've received the same comment on it from almost everyone who's seen it - "Wow, she's really pretty". I was aware of that, but the commonality of said comment from multiple people has me thinking that everyone is surprised that I was able to persuade someone that good looking into spending time with me. They probably think I practice some sort of mind control or use liberal doses of roofies and hypnosis. Granted, I've never been very photogenic (mind-numbingly handsome, yes, but the camera never captures it). In this picture in particular I think I look something like a muppet, which could be perceived as adorable I suppose. Anyway, if I can ever figure out how to post pictures on this (I have to check out Spice's recommendation for how to do it still), I'll post it and ya'll can see for yourself.

On a completely different topic, have you ever noticed how funny people look when they are spooked? I really hadn't noticed it before. But I think there's something to this. There have been numerous video postings on big-boys.com of people using an air horn to scare roommates, girlfriends, etc, and it's sad to say but they are kind of funny. I also wonder what kind of gum the guy in the upper left of that picture is chewing? Maybe this explains the popularity of fear factor because I can think of no other logical reason why anyone would watch it.

10 comments:

Spice said...

The first have of this post reminds me of my reaction to when I mention something about working out and people reply "Good for you!" or "I'm so proud of you!" which I always interpret as "Hey, you need to workout, plump girl - so I'm glad you figured that out!" I mean I don't think people are saying "Good for you!" to triathlete J.Bro, or to any skinny people, for that matter. I always find it really patronizing, even if people mean well.

In other words, I don't have any advice, but I totally get what you mean. Needless to say, it doesn't surprise me that you'd end up with an awesome (and pretty!) GF.

Spice said...

Oops - I meant "half" not "have" in the first sentence - I wish they'd let you edit comments!

buffalotimmy said...

I wanna see the picture!! Why can't I see the picture!! Of course, you would have a pretty girlfriend. I would be dissapointed if she wasn't hot.

J.Po said...

If you REALLY looked like a muppet, I would have jumped you years ago! Muppet you are not. Beauty you deserve! (I'm starting to sound like Yoda.)

grrrbear said...

All right, all right. I'll try to post it when I get home, after the plumber is done.

Spice, you bring up a good point. I think I'm going to start saying "Good for you" to the really lithe and pretty people I see jogging or walking out of the gym, or whatever. Just because I think it might be fun...

J.Bro said...

Not that I wouldn't appreciate a nice "good for you!" once in a while!

Spice said...

Trust me, you don't want that "Good for you!" Typically the tone is one of a person talking to a kindergartner who just figured out how to tie her shoes.

Sophist said...

When I used to go running around the Charles River, there were lots of people who would be saying 'good for you' to other runners, especially on rainy or super-hot-and-humid days. I liked it when someone yelled out, "NICE STRIDE!" I think a generally more encouraging environment, like that on the Charles River (that does not single out newbie athletes) would be nice. That being said, I do get a 'good for you' on occasion here. I wonder if it's patronizing or not...

J.Bro's wife said...

I have to agree with Spice after a similar run-in at the gym today. The well-built middle-aged guy running sprints on the treadmill next to me reached over to my screen, pointed to my distance/time, and gave me a thumbs-up with a big smile. How am I supposed to interpret that?

grrrbear said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

After all, Elmo seems equally disinterested in both...

I have a hard time believing that Elmo was traumatized by Katy Perry's decollatage after discovering that he had already "been arou...