Patriotism = I omit parts = Mars, it I opt*

While out and about town this weekend I found myself in a bar where there was a baseball game on television (I know – what are the odds?). Between innings, of course, the cameras pan around the crowd looking for cute kids, hot women, and people holding up various signs that either sport witty sayings or some sort of patriotic saying. Then, at the next bar, the GF pointed out an ad in The Onion promoting versions of the now-ubiquitous magnetic ribbons that were, to put it delicately, somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

The first point was raised when I saw someone holding a sign that read “God bless our troops!”. My question for the other folks at the table was what do you think people would do if you brought a sign to the ballpark that read “Allah bless our troops!” instead? Between the four of us, we pretty much agreed that whoever made the sign would be drawn and quartered by an angry mob. It’s so depressing.

But the new magnets made me feel better. We aren’t 100% sure, but we think they are real. Anyway, instead of the usual claptrap about loving America, they say things like:

  • My magnet can beat up your magnet
  • Supporting America since 9/11/01
  • I support our troops more than you do

There’s more, but I can’t remember them off the top of my head. Maybe the GF will remind me of the other ones later and I’ll post them as a comment.

Similarly, there’s a site where you can get custom-made magnets with the saying of your choice! They even post the latest orders – my favorites (At the time of this posting) are:

  • SUPPORT OUR JEDI
  • SAVE FERRIS
  • SUPPORT THE TROOPS, BUT NOT THE SOB WHO SENT THEM
  • WHAT WOULD JESUS BOMB?
  • SUPPORT JENNIFER GARNER
  • I SUPPORT TRENDY CAUSES
  • BRAD PITT, COME HOME!

I'm totally tempted to get one of the custom ones ("Save Ferris" is particularly tempting) but I'm afraid it'd be so popular that it'd either get stolen by another jealous pop-culture geek or magnet-napped in a fit of rage by some ignoramus who didn't get the joke.

* = This is obviously how Bush came up with the idea to go back to Mars. Obviously, he's making policy decisions using the Anagram Server.

Comments

J.Po said…
I want a button that says"
AMERICA, FUCK YEA!!!
Stacey Pelika said…
This is a total detour, but given that I'm currently blogless I'm going to use this forum to recommend The Current's "Fifty Songs for Fifty States" (plus profiles of particularly influential cities). It's available at: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/thecurrent/features/2005/07/20050704_fifty_songs.php
Unknown said…
Having not read the 50 for 50 list yet, I'm going to predict a Bruce Springsteen song for Nebraska. Or John Mellencamp's Jack and Diane
Unknown said…
Yes! Bruce Springsteen - "Nebraska"
Stacey Pelika said…
I was happy that the two recommendations I sent in ("Minnesota Polka" and "California Stars") made the list. I had thought of suggesting "Dream Vacation" for Wisconsin but thought it was too much Gear Daddies - it made the list anyway.
J.Po said…
I am enjoying the fact that Grrbear's blog has become the hideaway for Spicetastic postings ... making my visits to argonautical doubly pleasurable. Now if only I would get off my non-blogging ass.
grrrbear said…
I am happy to help Spice out in her time of refugee-ness. I feel like Harriet Tubman, smuggling her thoughts north to Canada through the underground railroad.
Stacey Pelika said…
Yes, I picked grrrbear because I figured that he was the farthest from the cyberstalker. It does feel a bit like I'm hiding in some sort of cyber-safe house.
towwas said…
oh, my gosh - I want a "my magnet can beat up your magnet." my little Jetta would love it.