Maybe they're worth more than $.25 due to the association with MN

It’s been months now since the Minnesota state quarter came out and I have yet to see a single one of them. At first, I was willing to believe that it was just taking a while for the new coins to get through the system – I’ve seen specials on the Discovery Channel about the mint and know what it takes to get coinage to the masses. But it’s been so long now that I’m beginning to develop theories that would make Oliver Stone roll his eyes incredulously. At first, I thought the Shrub administration was seeking revenge on all states that didn’t vote for him in the last election by having the mint “accidentally misplace” all the coins with those states’ designs. But then I realized that if we can’t find all the insurgents in Iraq there’s no way the government is going to find all the Minnesota quarters, given that each one is much smaller (and therefore harder to find) than the average terrorist.

Alternatively, perhaps all the Minnesota quarters have been snatched up by collectors, similar to what has happened with the Sacagawea dollar coins. This is possibly due to the stunning beauty of the design and the air of mystery associated with my beloved home state; each coin radiates an air of magic that draws those holding it to never willingly relinquish it…kind of like the Ring of Power in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Finally, it could be that the US mint doesn’t understand that Minnesota is indeed a state, and instead bullied the Canadian Mint into minting millions of Canadian quarters with the Minnesota design on the back. Figuring that most stores in Minnesota take Canadian quarters anyway, maybe they thought most native folks wouldn’t notice the difference, allowing the mint to skip ahead and get to Texas before Shrubbie leaves office in a final show of lap-dogged proverbial face-licking.

Comments

JYates said…
Dude, I have like 4 or 5 MN quarters personally. Out here in MT they're practically giving them away. (However, these days the retailers seem to like the Oregon quarter better.)
Stacey Pelika said…
I just love that I predicted what the MN quarter would look like when they started the state quarters like five years ago - and that's exactly what it looks like!

Let's say it together, Minnesotans - "A lake, with some trees, and a loon, and maybe some people fishing."

In any case, the quarter is definitely out and about. And appears to be legal U.S. tender to boot.

I also have to give props to the people of Wisconsin for rising up and demanding that their quarter have a cow and some cheese rather than the more 'appropriate' (read: generic) outdoorsy design those in power wanted.
grrrbear said…
Please, how would anyone recognize Wisconsin's quarter if it didn't have cheese and a cow? Everyone woudl get it confused with some other woodsy state, like Vermont's.
J.Po said…
Dude. I came across a MN quarter AT LEAST 3 weeks ago. It was from the Denver mint. I now notice this because Jiggity has a unique collection scheme - he only collects state quarters from the Pennsylvania mint. He's so cute. Anyway, the MN quarter is DE-LIGHTFUL in person. I hope you get one soon.
Annie said…
Hunh, I haven't seen a single damn one and being FROM MINNESOTA, believe me, I've been WAITING. I like the Wisconsin design. So much more character than many of them.

Are there going to be more collector-friendly sets? I like these state quarters, but I don't know why.
Unknown said…
I believe what Spice meant to type is the the quarters are "definitely oot and aboot".

Sophist - I think you're on to something.

"Starting in 2006, the U.S. Mint will release five new pennies per year for the next 629 years. While the process will be a long one, residents of the nation's 3,143 counties and county equivalents have already begun debating how their regions should be depicted."
grrrbear said…
Alternatively, re-issue the $2 bill but with a complete blank surface that anyone who gets a new one can draw whatever they want onto. Thus allowing the sort of individualization that will make "Pimp my $2 Bill" the reality hit TV show of the '00s.
grrrbear said…
For those of you eagerly following this thread, I finally got a Minnesota quarter in my change from lunch last Friday. It's beautiful...

...albeit a bit scratched up. No doubt due to jealous, less-attactive quarters from other states cutting it with their blades in vicious intra-pocket gang violence ("When you're a dime, you're a dime all the waaaaayy...").