Not that Kate Beckinsale isn't hot

I ran across an article on the Hollywood Stock Exchange site discussing the top 5 movies in John Cusack’s body of work. As I read it, I was filled with rage. If you don’t want to check out the article itself, here’s a summary:

  1. Serendipity (2001)
  2. High Fidelity (2000)
  3. Gross Pointe Blank (1997)
  4. Say Anything (1989)
  5. The Sure Thing (1985)

Here’s what I can tell about this person just from looking at this list:

  1. It is a woman. I could tell even before looking at the byline – no man worth his salt thinks Serendipity is Cusack’s peak. Most wouldn’t even think it belongs in the top 10.
  2. She is (at most) 23 years old, having been too young to appreciate Cusack’s earlier work. That’s the only reason Better off Dead is not in her top 5.
  3. She is brain dead (she watched Gross Pointe Blank over 50 times).

So - in light of the fact that this travesty of cinematic critisicm has been foisted upon a trusting public (no doubt the author is a daughter of someone significant at HSX and wanted to play journalist for the day). And in whereas I missed my regular post on Friday due to circumstances beyond my control, I now present the actual (corrected) top 5 movies by John Cusack:

  1. High Fidelity
  2. Being John Malkovich
  3. Better Off Dead
  4. Say Anything
  5. The Journey of Natty Gann

Feel free to post your own lists if you like. I’m open-minded. Except to the journalistic hack who wrote that HSX article, someone take away her laptop.

Comments

J.Po said…
My list would look pretty much the same (High Fidelity DEFINITELY on top) ... except I've never heard of that last one.
towwas said…
I'm a woman, and I know Serendipity is a dreadful, dreadful movie.
Stacey Pelika said…
That article is extra weird because it gives honorable mention to "Stand By Me." A great film, yes. But Cusack's role is so marginal that I would hardly call it one of _his_ best - it's one of River Phoenix's best (still not as good as "Running on Empty," though), and certainly Corey Feldman's and Wil Wheaton's and Jerry O'Connell's best. But I can't understand putting SBM on a list and ignoring "Being John Malkovich." Or heck, "Better Off Dead" ("French fries...French bread...French dressing...").
grrrbear said…
Multiple replies to comments:

1) Journey of Natty Gann was a disney movie back in the mid '80s where Cusack played the love interest. It's about a teenage girl who runs away from a cruel orphanage and rides the rails of 1930's America to go out west to find her dad who's working as a lumberjack. Along the way she meets Cusack, makes friends with a timber wolf, and has many adventures. Great movie.

2) Thanks to TOWWAS for representing women with good movie sense. Word.

3) As for SBM being on the list, I think it's just as weird as Sixteen Candles being there too. There's no way Cusacks 10 minutes of screentime in 16C is better than BOD. Again, more evidence this writer is crazy.
Mickey Glitter said…
I want my two dollars! I want my two dollars!