MMmmmmm...funnel cakes.....

Tonight the GF and I are winging off to Minneapolis for a long weekend of meeting my dad, touring the city of my youth (she’s never been), and most importantly – the Minnesota State Fair. I am anticipating spending significant amounts of time eating deep fried twinkies, walleye on a stick, mini-donuts, and funnel cakes. I’ll probably also examine the latest state fair entrée – spaghetti and meatballs on a stick – but I don’t think I’ll have room to actually try it. The GF will probably also want to see the animal exhibits (horses, bunnies, baby goats, and all sorts of other cuddlies) whereas I’ll be all over the midway in an effort to win her a ginormous stuffed animal of some sort that will no doubt be waaay too big for the overhead compartment.

The rest of the weekend we’ll be playing tourist and revisiting the nerdly haunts of my youth like the Science Museum, Walker Art Center and Sculpture Garden, and Grainland at the Minnesota Historical Society. There will also be the obligatory visit to the Mall of America (I’m bringing an extra bag in the event that much clothing is purchased in a state with no sales tax on clothes).


In addition to all the touristy-fun, the GF will be introduced to a significant proportion of my friends – from people I met at work who are now in med school at the U of MN to friends from high school with their passel o’kids. There should be many exciting stories to share upon my return. My folks do have ‘net access, so postings may still be coming tomorrow, but it’s just a question of whether I’ll have the time. In case I don’t post – have a great weekend!

Comments

J.Po said…
Dude! Have a fantastic-o time and be sure to eat a few snacks-on-a-stick for me! (I'm jealous of your attendance at the fair. Last time I was there, I saw the BoDeans and Mary Chapin-Carpenter in concert.)

My weekend promises fun too. The whale-studying blondie from our freshman floor is heading here for a visit. 'Twill be, as always, a rockin good time.
grrrbear said…
Freakin awesome! Say hello to Blondie for me and tell her the GF is totally jealous of her rockin' scooter.
Annie said…
Hey dude, the butter exhibits at the State Fair are nice. I seem to recall large butter sculptures. One year when Palm Pilots were all the rage, they made a gigantic butter Palm Pilot from like 200 lbs of pure creamy butter. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Maybe I should get a pack of skewers and make all of my food on sticks for a week in honor of the fair. Too bad I eat a lot of rice. Individual grains of rice on sticks sounds labor intensive.
OleNelson said…
Awwww. Go, Minnesota!

Do note your feelings about the new Walker Art Center. My parents, who live a couple blocks away, HATE it. Most architecture types (and my sister) LOVE it. I haven't decided
towwas said…
You could totally do rice balls on sticks though. Or mochi.