School of bad parenting

Nominations are currently being accepted for the 1st Annual "Idiot Parent of the Year" award. My nomination - Phil Parlock from Huntington, WV for bringing his kids to this little escapade. Now, I'll be the first to sing the praises of free speech when it comes to politics. I believe that people who want to protest political events by showing up and carrying signs proclaiming their beliefs should be allowed to do so because they are aware of the consequences of what they do (hostility from their opponents who are present, possible arrest or hair pulling). Guys like this, however, who bring little children to campaign rallies are doing so in a pathetic attempt to use them as a shield against being confronted. It's absolutely friggin awful. Good god guy, let them become embittered when they're adults and actually have to pay attention to this stuff. Does he really think his 3 year old would support Bush if she knew how much extra she was going to pay in taxes to support his reckless expansion of federal spending plus unrealistic tax cuts? Not to mention the therapy she's going to need to overcome what must be an absolutely horrific experience for someone so young. She doesn't see the difference between her sign and those everyone else is holding up, so suddenly when everyone else takes hers and rips it up - she's going to think it's because everybody doesn't like *her* - that it's somehow *her* fault.

If I ruled the world, I'd get to smack him around personally, take his kids away and have them adopted by people who have passed comprehensive courses in good parenting taught by Mr. Rogers. I know that sounds extreme, but I'm *really* steamed at that guy...

Comments

Stacey Pelika said…
It always bothers me to see little kids used as props for their parents at rallies - even when they're on the same side as I am. When they're old enough to understand what's going on and decide for themselves what they believe, then I'm cool with it. Before then, no. They can go to a rally (I'm all for exposure to the political process), but covering them with signs and buttons ain't cool.