Wow. That was a long nap.

I didn't just want to see how long I could go without posting. Rather I've been crazy busy, between finishing school (November), holiday travel (December), getting over my post-holiday head cold (new years), getting over my post head-cold sinus infection (first part of January), and being suddenly overwhelmed with work craziness (last two weeks). All while still maintaining good terms with the g-friend (yes, that term is now official). Whew!

It's been a while since I've dated anyone long enough to qualify as a "boyfriend" and let me tell you, it's weird to be introduced to people as such at parties. Not weird in a bad way. Just weird in a "hasn't happened before" sort of way. Not that I mind. She's freakin' awesome. And it's only made my ego that much bigger that I somehow was able to delude her that I'm actually an interesting person. Now that she's beginning to discover that I'm not all that interesting, she still hangs around. I tell you, I may never understand the logic of it. But I'm not complaining either.

I was reading my annual reading of "The Raven" for Poe's birthday on the 19th when it struck me that "Nevermore" is a very appropriate word to use to describe the next 1460 days. All the things I've grown accustomed to when I was growing up and had always assumed were a given are now not so. Nevermore will I sleep at night knowing that the US is thought of as a place where people are generally good and helpful. Nevermore will I believe the intentions of the White House have the best interests of the American people - guided by advice and input from both assenters and dissenters rather than from a collective hive of yes-persons. And nevermore will I have faith that integrity is valued by American government - rather that they say only what people want to hear long enough for the issue to become boring and the media to move onto the next subject (e.g. Abu Ghraib, Iraq war dead flying into Dover AFB, inability to equip troops properly over there anyway, meager/inadequate/pathetic offers of aid to tsunami victims, pulling out troops there too early). God bless the protesters yesterday. And their snowball-throwing.

Comments