Behold, the power of ties

Yesterday, I decided to shake things up a bit by wearing a tie along with my regular work shirt. Granted, it was a new shirt that I bought in my clothes shopping spree a couple weeks back. And the shirt also came with the tie, and it looked *good*.

Before going on, I should be clear that my office is a "business casual" environment in the truest form of the word - guys have to wear shirts with collars, and women can wear pretty much anything they want as long as there is a "sleeve" on their top. I say "sleeve" because any scrap of fabric is considered a sleeve, which I find interesting. Typically, though, nobody shows up looking ridiculous and it's pretty hard to screw up office attire.

What I encountered at work was really weird though, all females thought I looked phenomenal, but other guys either were horrifically confused ("What are you wearing a tie for? What's the occasion?") or just gave me crap about it ("Got a job interview today?"). And the response was absolutely consistent down gender lines. If you are a guy and work in an office, wear a tie one day and see what response you get.

Comments

JYates said…
Well, as you know, I don't work in an office, but I do wear a tie about once a week. In fact my students often request a tie. Presently, the most requested tie is my Silver Surfer tie, with any of my 3 Spiderman ties coming in a close second. (My Taz tie comes in third, but I save that one for volleyball games.)

I've worked here long enough that people don't comment much on my ties (except to see which one I'm wearing). When I first started though, most everyone wondered why I was dressed up.
Anonymous said…
You should try wearing one on Tuesdays and Thursdays. People will notice and wait for it.
Unknown said…
I taught in one once - no one would believe me when I said it was for no reason. Clearly I had something up my sleeve.
grrrbear said…
Just tell people that the suit does a much better job covering up the unitard and cape you have to wear when fighting crime. Unless, of course you choose the Catwoman look for your outfit (note: Halle Berry Catwoman, not the way hotter Michelle Pfeiffer Catwoman) in which case you wouldn't need the coverage.