Even though the real list is pretty lousy

Inspired by the AFI’s list of the top 100 movie lines of the last 100 years, I’m assembling a list of my favorite line from every movie that I own. These aren’t necessarily the best lines from each of them – usually they are ones that make me giggle a little because they are funny, particularly in hindsight or when taken out of context. Others give insights into the character that aren’t immediately obvious. This is just the first batch that I could think of off the top of my head, and in no particular order.

  • “I’m nobody’s little weasel.” – Amelie
  • “WHAT’S THAT FLASHING!?!?!” – Star Wars
  • “I know kung fu.” – The Matrix
  • “A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men.” – Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
  • “I'm a convicted murderer who provides sound financial planning.” – Shawshank Redemption
  • “Back when I was picking beans in Guatemala, we used to make fresh coffee, right off the trees I mean. That was good. This is shit but, hey, I'm in a police station.” – The Usual Suspects
  • “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” – The Princess Bride
  • “The day we stop lookin', Charlie, is the day we die.” – Scent of a Woman
  • “Sugar? No thanks, I take it black, like my men.” – Airplane!
  • “What, so if you had a bit more energy we'd stay split up, but things being as they are, with you being wiped out and all, you want to get back together? Is that it?” – High Fidelity
  • “Do you see her face? Girls like that are born with a boyfriend.” – Beautiful Girls
  • “So, she smokes.” – The Royal Tenenbaums
  • “I don't want you to be the guy in the PG-13 movie everyone's *really* hoping makes it happen. I want you to be like the guy in the rated R movie, you know, the guy you're not sure whether or not you like yet.” – Swingers
  • “Maybe I'm spending too much of my time starting up clubs and putting on plays. I should probably be trying harder to score chicks.” – Rushmore
  • “Doing stuff is overrated. Like Hitler. He did a lot. But don't we all wish he woulda just stayed home and gotten stoned?” – Tao of Steve
  • “All I'm saying is that, when I'm around you, I find myself showing off, which is the idiot's version of being interesting.” – LA Story
  • “It's not a lie. It's a gift for fiction.” – State and Main
  • “But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?… You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.” – Dr. Strangelove

Comments

ThatIsMeWhat said…
Much better list!