Red Warrior needs food...BADLY!!!

After being gone for a week, and having not bought groceries for about 3 months prior to that, my cupboards were looking pretty bare by the time I got back from Ecuador. Some of you may wonder "Why wait three months between grocery shopping trips? What do you live on once the fresh food goes bad? Frozen food and beef jerky?".

The answer is that I have a love/hate relationship with the grocery store. Not because I don't enjoy grocery shopping - I actually like thinking "Ooo...I could have that for dinner!" to myself as I walk up and down the aisles. Actually my issue is that whenever I enter a grocery store, I enter a sort of time warp, wherein time inside the store passes slowly, while time outside speeds up so that you end up wasting an entire day inside the grocery store. Sometimes I've gone in right after work, only to emerge well after dark. It's really frustrating, since I hate feeling like I've wasted an afternoon that I would've otherwise spent watching the Discovery Channel or playing my old school Nintendo.

Another reason is that since I don't shop at the same grocery store every time, I never can remember which stores have which stuff and where it is located. The Cub Foods by my house stores its pancake batter near other breakfast type foods in the cereal aisle, but the Jewel Osco nearest to work stores its pancake batter in the aisle marked "Cooking Oils, Jell-O" ("Oh, of course! Cooking oils! Why didn't' I guess that!"). This explains why it took me an hour and a half to find everything I wanted on Monday. Half an hour to find everything else plus another half-hour going up and down every aisle guessing which ones might contain maple syrup. Stupid store layout people...

Comments