Thoughts on a weeklong trip to Ecuador

After spending a week in Ecuador, here is a short summary of what my thoughts are on the trip itself:

  • I really appreciate living in a first world country. It's nice to be able to do things like easily find good medical care and drink water from the tap
  • Llamas make the weirdest sound
  • Altitude sickness can really screw people up
  • I can actually remember a lot of Spanish from high school – totally enough to get around
  • Haggling is fun
  • The GF is way tougher than she appears, and I don’t get sick of her company even after 8 days of 24 hour exposure
  • Germans can be really snotty
  • It’s often uncomfortable to be a minority in a mono-racial culture
  • When walking through the Ecuadorian countryside you can be attacked at any moment by dogs, so carry sticks and rocks to keep them at bay

I put up a bunch of pictures from the trip that follow this. It’s not everything that I took, but it’s enough to get the idea of what we saw.

Comments

grrrbear said…
I just think they are funny. One of those few things that are pretty much always funny when you see them. Right up there with fat people falling down stairs, little kids talking like grownups, and old english gentlemen in tweed getting pants'd.

I can't explain why exactly, maybe it's the whole double "l" thing...