Yes, he says "I'm Batman" in one scene

The GF and I went to see “Batman Begins” this weekend. Very entertaining. And Katie Holmes is soooo not dating Tom Cruise totally for publicity. It’s obvious by the way she plays the character of Assistant D.A. Joey Potter that she can rely on her boundless ability to develop new and distinct characters to keep her in the business for years. I mean we've already seen what she did with the role of Joey Potter as Michael Douglas’ student in Wonder Boys, and as Joey Potter the amateur drug-dealer in Go. Rumor has it she's lining up to play Joey Potter the aspiring wizard in the next Harry Potter movie…

But still, the movie itself was quite good. Thank you Christopher Nolan for de-sucking the franchise. I liked that almost the entire movie was backstory and initial character development. I actually feel like I understand what drives and motivates the characters now, not to mention how so many crazy weirdos decided to live in Gotham and take up crime as a career. Plus, I now understand where the relationship between Batman and Commissioner Gordon comes from…all wonderful cinematic deliciousness. And stuff blowing up. And seeing all the familiar spots in Chicago cleverly disguised as Gotham city (because if you never see the Hancock building or Sears Tower – nobody who doesn’t live here would recognize Chicago). And best of all – as the GF pointed out – no stupid sappy pseudo-love story wedged in with its “You’re so mysterious, why won’t you let me in?” silliness.


The best part was that they actually made the villain scary again. Not since Jack Nicholson’s star-making turn as the Joker in the first one had there been a villain that I was actually scared of (I mean, Ah-nuld as Mr. Freeze? Jim Carrey as Riddler? Please, I’m more afraid of Jar Jar Binks…). But the Scarecrow is SCARY! Which, considering the name, is pretty apropos.

Comments