The ABC's of ALOA, Booth Babes, and Catfights

Before I start, I saw a video clip this morning that made me ask "Why aren't they both beating the crap out of the boyfriend instead of each other?". This is why I don't sleep around like a man-whore, people get hurt.

This afternoon I get to enjoy one of the more entertaining parts of my job – going to a trade show. For those of you who have never been to one, they are virtual smorgasboards of free promotional giveaway toys, pushy sales guys, and crazy demonstration presentations. This show is for the Associated Locksmith’s of America (ALOA) and promises to be a hardcore, old school trade show. Lots of security equipment, padlocks, funky locksets for doors, CCTV stuff, lock picks, and the like. Yee-haw.

Naturally, going to trade shows also means dealing with “booth girls”. For those of you who aren’t familiar, almost every company who sets up a booth at a show brings along their most attractive female employee to work the booth. They often work in sales, and for the most part do usually know what they are talking about. The other option for companies at the show is to hire in “outside help” – professional booth girls. Once I went to a show where a company had hired Hooters Girls to run a little mini-golf putt putt competition for free t-shirts. These girls usually don’t know anything about what the company is selling, they are bait - pure and simple - and are there just to get you within reach of the company's sales reps' tendrils.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have a reputation of being a notorious flirt with booth girls. Frankly, I just think I’m being my normal self but my old boss gave me no end of grief about how booth girls flirt with me constantly. When I say it’s their job to flirt with anyone in a five foot radius of the booth, she pooh-poohed me and said that I clearly have the super power of “enchanting booth girls with my overwhelming charisma”. When I say I’m just making charitable conversation because they must be interacting with dull people all day, she just rolled her eyes and shook her head. This will be my first show attended with my new boss, so we’ll see what he thinks.

In other news this weekend, I’m going to be spending most of it outside at Lollapalooza, which is down to one show in downtown Chicago. A kajillion good bands are playing though, and the GF will be around to keep me entertained. But it’s supposed to be 102 degrees on Sunday and humid, so I may be dead by Monday. Still, it’s Lollapalooza, so I’m sure I’ll have all sorts of great stories to share come Monday.

Comments

towwas said…
I can hear your overwhelming charisma all the way over here. In fact, I may be able to feel it, swelling like a giant balloon. I thought my office felt more fun today...now I know why.
J.Po said…
Lollapalooza?!? They're still doing that?!?