Metablogging

Last night on Queer Eye, they did this guy who’s a foster dad for about 500 kids. Great story, but as with every week, they then tried to tailor their Queer Eye Hip Tips to the whole parents with kids genre. Jai then suggested to parents that they have their kids keep a journal to help them sort through all the craziness in their lives. A great idea, but then he suggested that they use these things “called blogs” as their journal. Sure Jai, that’s where I would want my (proverbial) kids recording all their most intimate details about their life – on a public forum that anyone with Google can find. Way to make every child molester in America’s day, Jai! Not to mention that most kids are way more savvy about searching on the web, and could probably find the blogs of their friends and enemies, in order to gather valuable intelligence useful in all sorts of youthful hi-jinks like extortion, bribery, and slander! Suddenly I’m totally questioning how savvy he is about “lifestyle” issues. The curtain has been pulled back.

Since this post has started off being about blogging in general, I was going to write about my idea that Doogie Howser was possibly the first blogger ever. However, as I was searching for examples of random entries of his (figuring that someone on the interweb* must have enough time to watch all the episodes and log all the entries in all their abstract-random-no-way-he’ll-recall-what-he’s-talking-about-in-five-years glory) I discovered that everyone has had this idea, including Wil Wheaton. So I guess I’m not as clever or original as I thought I was**.

The one good thing about it is I actually read a little of the Wil Wheaton blog and it doesn’t suck. I’ll need to read more of it before I draw any conclusions about where he sits in my hierarchy of blog preferences. Nowhere near as good as Alien Loves Predator, but better than what you’re reading now, probably.

* This is one of the GF’s terms that I’ve totally assimilated. I think it’s cool, but I can’t take credit for coining it.
** If I was that clever or original I would have coined “interweb”.

Comments

Stacey Pelika said…
I love Wil Wheaton's blog - I've been reading it for a few months now. When I first started reading it, J.Bro and I discussed how he totally seemed like he could be a friend of ours. I feel like it's like reading one of our blogs, only with the occasional story about playing in the World Series of Poker or bonding with Susan Sarandon thrown in.
J.Po said…
Well I love Doogie Howser!!!!
grrrbear said…
Who *didn't* love Doogie? That kid was an inspiration to nerdy kids everywhere.

Not to mention Wanda, who was arguably one of the hottest teen love interests of the '80s (along with Winnie Cooper)

As for Vinnie...eeeehh...not so inspirational, that one. Pretty much there solely to perpetuate stereotypes about Italians.