Stamp out sloppy drooly cake!

I’m back, yay. G-ma’s party was a good time; lots of cake and punch and ice cream. In fact we had so much ice cream that the aunts were essentially getting upset at my cousins for not forcing it on more people. The aunts totally wanted the ice cream to be standard equipment on all cake transactions, whereas my cousins, being nice people, wanted to offer it as an option. In general I tended to be more on the cousin’s side. After all, what if you don’t like ice cream? Then it just gets all melty and drooly and floods your place – turning otherwise moist and yummy cake into a sopping wet semi-solid. And heaven help us if someone was lactose intolerant. So kudos to the cousins for standing their ground!

Also I discovered that one of my cousins is engaged to her long-time boyfriend (who is a peach of a guy, BTW). This was doubly exciting for me because I’m hopeful that it will give the aunts something to distract them from the fact that I’m still not married for at least a year. Early readings however, indicate that it may do nothing but encourage them to tease me even more, since this cousin is younger than I am – so I’ve been “lapped” so to speak. …on the bright side I’ve become very adept at changing the subject, which is a good thing. I know they are just giving me grief, they love the GF but they love teasing me even more.

The side effect of going out of town this weekend is that I still don’t own my copy of the new Harry Potter book. Every issue since the 3rd one I’ve had a copy on the opening day, and then spent the rest of the day sitting on my couch, reading. Sometimes I’d read for up to six hours straight with neither food nor water (waste of time). So my dilemma is how to avoid any of the media hype until I can get my hands on a copy and read it myself. I hate how the media is so prone to spoilers these days, and I don’t want my reading enjoyment to be spoiled. I guess I’ll have to pick up a copy tonight after the gym. I hear someone dies in this one. I wonder if she kills everyone off and replaces all the characters with their bizarro-versions? I read an article positing that there’s some sort of sexual tension between Dumbledore and McGonagall which is ridiculous silliness in its highest form (aside: also silly is that Microsoft Word has both Dumbledore and McGonagall in its spell-check).

Comments

Stacey Pelika said…
I totally agree that ice cream should be optional. As y'all know, I hate pickles - when I inadvertently eat one, I can tell immediately and have an automatic gag/spit out reaction. Often I ask for "NO PICKLE - NOT EVEN ON THE SIDE" in restaurants, because the pickle's evil juices can oh-so-easily bleed into the rest of my food. About half of the time, I end up with no pickle. The other half, I end up with a damn pickle, which leads into having to ask someone with me retrieve the pickle from my plate immediately (many of my friends now offer this service without my asking, which is much appreciated) - or I use many napkins to create a barrier between the pickle and my hand and do it myself. Then, I have to quarantine all pieces of food that have touched the pickle or its juice. The optimal situation is when the pickle is surrounded by fries - they make a nice barrier. The worst situation is when the pickle has touched a bun - or, even worse, is on top of the bun - which requires peeling off all pieces of affected bun.

Which is a long way of saying that I'm sure people who don't like ice cream much appreciate it not being automatically dropped on a plate next to their cake, and that your concern is appreciated by all who don't like having runny foods given to them even when they don't want them.