CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN!!!

Yesterday I took the day off work to bum around town with My Friend the Novelist and her husband, who have been my first official houseguests to use the new folding couch in the office. They said it was fab. We got a late start on the day, so as to enable much sleeping in. There was much rejoicing. Did brunch up at Kitch’n (near the GF’s place) and then hopped on the el for the trip down into the city.

First stop, Millennium Park. Not only because it’s neat-o, but also because they have finally uncovered The Bean after working on polishing away the weld seams on the outside. Now it’s as smooth as a mirror and reflects the city skyline in all sorts of weird twisty ways. Any visitors staying at my place in the future may very well be forced to go there, just because of the neat-o-ness. After the Park, we walked up to Navy Pier, which was a longer walk than I thought it would be, and involved much exploring of new areas of the city, including the city industrial parking lot where they take car wrecks from accidents. When we got to the Pier we reveled in its tourist-trap trappings, including the Ferris Wheel (big, but you only go around once, and for $5.50, I expect at least three times), the Smith Museum of Stained Glass (totally bigger now than it was even a year ago), and a bookstore that had one of my friend’s books on the shelf (which she signed).

After much exploring and walking, we headed back to the house to put on our regalia for the Cubs/Dodgers game last night. My friend the novelist and I are Cubs fans, whereas the husband (who I’ll call Mr. Tall) grew up as a Dodgers fan. So with Mr. Tall in his Dodgers jersey, and Novelist & myself in our Cubs gear, we headed out for
Murphys for the pre-game beer. Then, on our way from Murphys to Wrigley Field, we run into Tommy Lasorda walking the other direction! He saw Mr. Tall’s jersey and commented “Nice shirt”. Mr. Tall was flattered, and shook hands with Tommy before he walked off surrounded by a very small entourage. Totally cool.

The game itself was way fun. I got my hot dog, peanuts, cracker jack and beer dinner in (and all by the 4th inning!) and enjoyed the Cubs as they rallied from 2 runs down to pull off the win 6-3. We celebrated by heading over to meet up with the GF at a bar near her place for a final round before heading off home to sleep. A totally great day!

Comments

towwas said…
Hey - tell Your Friend the Novelist that I bought BOTH of her books and particularly enjoyed the second one. Well, I enjoyed the first one, but I liked the second one even better.
grrrbear said…
Glad to hear you liked 'em! She's got two more coming out soon, one that's targeted at the teenage crowd (titled "The 310", published under a different pseudonym - available for pre-order on amazon!) that's coming out in March '06. The other chic lit book ("Fashionably Late" - also available for pre-order) is coming out in January. Go buy them now! Buy multiple copies for friends, family, complete strangers! Re-side your house with self-insulating paperback copies!
towwas said…
Awesome. I will totally buy them. This is in some bizarre sense of the golden rule, where someday I will write a book and maybe kind near-strangers will buy copies rather than (hiss) borrowing them (boo).