Hello, I don't know you, please don't tell me your name

I started off today full of bile and crankiness after reading the latest salvos from the “Hey, we’re morons” camp. You know of what I speak – the Kevin Trudeau book, Pat Robinson’s latest gaffe, Intelligent design. But eventually, I got tired of ranting and gave up, figuring nobody wants to read me yelling at idiots, because idiots don’t read my blog anyway. In fact only brilliant, funny, and dazzlingly good looking people read my blog, and all of them probably don’t feel all that different than I do about the moronization of America. So, instead I’m changing topics to something I’ve noticed around the office lately – greeting strangers.

I work in a pretty big office environment, where I’m fortunate enough to know many people. Of course, I also am complete strangers with even more people, because I simply don’t interact with enough people on a regular basis to learn everybody’s names and what they do. After all, I have to keep doggedly pursuing my quest to find the latest and greatest in door hardware technology.

But there are certain people that I work near, who I see on a regular basis. Not enough to actually talk to them, but enough to recognize them. And since I don’t know their names, I find myself at a loss for words when I pass them in the halls. I don’t feel close enough to them to say hello, nor so I have the time to introduce myself and have a long conversation. But I want to at least acknowledge their existence. I also believe they want to do the same with me. So I’ve developed what I call the “Grimace Greeting” – where each person sort of purses their lips and nods as a way of saying “Hey, I see you there and know that we work somewhat nearby each other – I recognize our shared existence.” This greeting then allows me to be somewhat social with those people that don’t quite deserve the “Smile Greeting” but who are above the level of “Complete Indifference”. I’m sure I didn’t invent it, because everyone I give it to returns the Grimace Greeting as though they totally understand the intent.

If I didn’t invent it though, I want credit for naming it. Does this sort of thing happen anywhere else? Or is it specific to my weird workplace? How do you greet strangers that you see on a regular basis but never talk to?

Comments

Unknown said…
I use a similar greeting when I pass people I know by name in the hallway between our open work area and the shared kitchen. When I work 20 feet away from someone with no walls between us, do I say hello in the hallway? What if we've already spoken multiple times that day? What if it's 3:00 in the afternoon? I can't ask a question or make a comment requiring a longer response, since (1) I should do that at our desks instead of the hallway, and (2) we're both just getting a glass of water (or juice).

It seems rude to stare at the floor without acknowledging this person, so I usually go with the grimaced smile and the almost-imperceptible nod - as if to say, "I see you there and I recognize that you're not sure how to handle this interaction either."
towwas said…
Oh, J.P., your greeting issues sound remarkably similar to mine. I sit next to the art department, and I have only a vague idea of who all those people are. After two years of grimacing, some of us graduated on to "hey." Kind of a big step. Hey first time in the day. After that, maybe a nod or simple avoidance-by-staring-at-ground-or-into-distance. This used to bother me more than it does now.

I've always had this problem - like at Our Alma Mater when you'd be walking along a long sidewalk and see someone coming toward you, what do you do? Avoid eye contact? Say hi too early? Remember something you needed to fish out of your backpack? Watch the vultures overhead?