Pondering the future

There once was a time when I was the king of the techno-uber geeks. I was an early adopter in every sense of the word when it came to all things technological. Always had the latest in computers, PDAs, fun computer games, you name it. I was master of my technological domain and I knew it. I walked with a confident swagger of a man who had beaten dozens of Nintendo NES games – from Metroid to Life Force to both Tecmo Bowl editions.

Yet, something has been happening in the last 10 years that I can’t quite define, but the end result is I’m becoming more and more luddite as I age. Or maybe it’s just that my passion for technology has leveled off in the late ‘90s level of gadgetry. I still love web surfing, email, and playing my NES (I can still dominate a Tecmo Bowl season from start to finish) and Civilization. However, most of the stuff coming out these days doesn’t interest me. All the first person-shooter games bore me, I have no interest in instant messaging or text messaging, and I rarely use my cell phone for anything other than placing or receiving calls.

While this may seem innocuous enough, this is an ominous trend. What if I never evolve past 1990’s technology? What if I never get into the Cy-borg hipster movement when it hits in the 2010’s? What if I don’t have my consciousness transferred onto a computer chip before I’m 90? Will I become a mid-21st century equivalent of the Amish? Will I refuse to let people take holo-replicas if my face for fear it will “steal my soul”? I can see myself living in a cave in the woods with my cable modem, emailing on my desktop computer, using my Palm Pilot to keep names and contact info, listening to my iPod and driving to the grocery store while the rest of the world lives in bubbles under the ocean with their 4th-Gen wi-fi networks beaming information from the web directly into their brains and running down to the local Wal-Earth in their flying cars to buy sanitized (“guaranteed mad-cow free”) meat paste in tubes.

Yeesh…maybe this isn’t a bad thing.

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh-ho-ho - but you're writing this on a blog, which puts you back ahead of the curve! Unless you're blogging from a 90mhz Gateway with an external hard drive.

For me, the height of video gaming was the Super NES - technology that could probably fit in my two-year-old cell phone. In fact, if anyone knows how I could download Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for my Nokia, I would kiss you on the lips.
grrrbear said…
I agree that the SNES is definitely a strong second choice for my vidgaming history. Many were the days when me and glacierman blew off studying for lively games of MarioKart, NBA Jam!, and the mother of all games - Mortal Kombat. These multi-hour sessions would frequently attract everyone on our floor to join in a massive bloodsport orgy entirely uncharacteristic of our unassuming, liberal-arts college geekiness. Ah...good times...
OleNelson said…
I share your concern. Evidence for my own ludite-ness: (1) my PARENTS got a cell phone before I did; (2) the only video games I ever play are no more advanced than glorious Tetris; (3) entering academia has rendered me incapable of operating overheads or VCRs; and (4) I pretend to know how to use Power Point but secretly I don't.

It's shameful, really.
grrrbear said…
Don't feel bad OleNelson, the only PowerPoint ability I've picked up is the ablity to make black words on a plain white background.

So, most of the time I just put my presentations in Word because nobody can tell the difference anyway.
Annie said…
My dad had his administrative assistant scan his hand-written transparencies into the computer and put them into a powerpoint file. So now he "uses powerpoint"... of his own handwriting!