Where's my cake Blogger?

It’s been one whole year since my first post and it feels a little weird. Granted, the months-long break I took over last November/December makes me a little uncertain about calling it an “anniversary” but I don’t want to have to do all the math to calculate when I’ve accumulated a year’s worth of posts. Thanks to you few regular readers: pre-blog friends, lurking family members, unfortunate folks who stumbled across this blog and decided to keep coming (for some reason unbeknownst to me). Rest assured – I read all your blogs too.

My mom is coming to visit this weekend. This will also be the first time she meets the GF. Oddly enough, all of my mom’s family has already met the GF (some of them more than once, even) so I’m sure she’s already received multiple scouting reports from various aunts and grandma. We’re going out for dinner (and the big introduction) when she gets in town, and then on Saturday I’m going to squire her about town all day. Some folks have asked whether I’m at all nervous about the GF meeting mom. To be honest I’m really not. My mom is loveable and super nice, and everyone loves the GF. Heck, by the time the weekend is over, they’ll probably like each other more than they like me.

The only part of my mom coming that’s going to be a little crazy is that it has provoked me into finally finishing the conversion of my office into a proper “guest bedroom”. Naturally, this will necessitate the purchase of some furniture, and the removal of other furniture. In order to keep the costs down, I’m going to head up to Ikea tomorrow to pick up a sleeper sofa and a small corner computer desk to replace the gargantuan desk I have now but never use. And since my car is nowhere near large enough to pack and bring home this much stuff, I’ve rented a U-Haul from the place down the street to help with the move. Of course, I have no idea if the local Ikea has what I want in stock, and I have no idea how I’m going to get my old desk out of my room (I think I can do it, but I don’t know for sure). So tomorrow will be a big adventure day. Tune in Thursday for the exciting conclusion!

Comments

Stacey Pelika said…
I'm going to go back to your earlier post about ketchup, but post here because I'm not sure you'd see it otherwise! In Newsweek this week, the question of the week was: "Does the ketchup in the little packets from the drive-through stay good forever? When should I throw them away?" The answer: "Nothing lasts forever, and packets of ketchup are no exception. The condiment is so popular at fast-food chains that suppliers design the product for a quick turnover. So if you're hoarding packets in your cupboard, watch out. Heinz suggests a nine-month shelf life, but McDonald's thinks that six is long enough. One telltale sign: the older ketchup is, the darker and thicker it gets. So if you're squeezing burgundy paste onto your plate, chances are it's past its sell-by date. And who'd want fries with that?"
J.Po said…
My mom better get rid of those packets she's had since the happy meal days of 1981.
grrrbear said…
Wow...'81? By now it's probably not even ketchup anymore. More like little nuggets of ketchup jerkey.

mmmm....ketchup jerkey.....
J.Po said…
I'm suddenly extremely hungry.