The white eyes mean they haven't had their picture taken with a flash

Sorry for missing yesterday. I’ve been all discombobulated for the last couple days. I had a rash of headaches since Wednesday which I’ve been trying to slough off by getting more sleep. The nice thing about this is that I’ve been getting much more sleep than usual, but the bad thing is that now my circadian rhythm is all screwed up. I have no idea what days it is anymore, it feels like it should be Tuesday of next week.

Speaking of circadian rhythms (well, not exactly, but I’m trying to craft a segue here) it’s the middle of cicada season around the Midwest, as we all walk out of work in the afternoon to the insanely loud droning sounds of these crazy insects who have until only recently spent their lives sucking tree juice from roots. Now, these are different from the big cicada emergence that everyone writes about – those cicadas have red eyes and only emerge once every 14 years. These ones look pretty much the same but their eyes are white and they come out every year. They are still loud though.

My quest, ever since I was a young boy was to try and see one while it was calling. This is much more difficult than one would imagine because the sound they make sounds like it is coming from all directions, making it hard to locate them. Plus, as you approach, they shut up and wait for you to leave - much like a difficult teenager. But my quest was finally realized this week when I saw one on my way out from work, flying from one shrub to another. It was big and flew very loudly. I like to think that we became friends, since he didn’t fly right into me or attack me with his tenacious little teeth and claws. But after a few seconds he flew away and up into the shrub where he soon started screaming “MATE WITH ME!!!!!!!!!! I’M RIGHT HERE!!!! SEXY ARTHROPODIC LOVE MACHINE!!!!!! I’M HUNG LIKE A SQUIRREL!!!!!!”. Of course, he said it in circada-ese, which sounded more like “EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Feeling satisfied, I went home, where the next day I saw another cicada sitting on the steps outside my back door. 30 years of hiding in the shadows and now I’m seeing them everywhere. I think they’re following me…

Comments

towwas said…
I love cicadas. Well, the 17-year ones. I only like the annual ones because of the sound. I just think the 17-year ones are so great - it's LIFE, all right out there to see and hear. Seventeen years they squiggle around in the dirt, then suddenly, somehow, they decide to emerge, they eat, they mate, they die, and it's over until 2021. It's beautiful.
grrrbear said…
Yes, and they do it all without the magic of the internet...truly amazing.