Would you hang your mom upside down for Mother's Day?

VH1 has recently become the resident expert in pointing out the crazy fads of my youth. Between all the iterations of “I Love The…” tchotchcumentaries I have relived most of the crazy, silly, sometimes stupid but always fun things that I idolized as a kid. And, of course I also relived the stupid things all my friends did. And the one thing they all have in common is that at the time they seemed perfectly normal and even cool. For example:


Big Hair


Leg Warmers


Friendship Pins

The rest I will leave to you to recall.

My point is that rarely are the times when a trend pops up that one immediately knows that it will be featured as something stupid when VH1 does “I Love the 00’s”. But I’m pretty sure this whole thing with the upside down Christmas trees is destined to become one. There are so many things wrong with this concept. Sure, it’s different from the norm, but how does one keep the darn thing watered? People say that “But it’s functional! You can fit more presents under the tree!” to which I respond with “Did you not put presents under the tree as a kid? Or did you surround the tree with presents so as to not violate the tree’s personal space?”

Besides, isn’t anyone else a little turned off by the whole upside down thing? When you take a symbol and turn it upside down it usually means something is wrong. Cases in point: the American flag (upside down = a sign of distress), the pentagram (upside down = devil worship), the cross (upside down = sign of the anti-christ*), the question mark (upside down = someone is writing something in Spanish), and the letter “e” (upside down = someone is spelling phonetically). So if you think you’re being smart and setting up your tree upside down this year, don’t come crying to me because Santa showed up and – offended by your anti-christmas blasphemy – stuffed your stocking full of coal.

*Yes you nitpickers I know it’s also called St. Peter’s cross because he was crucified on an upside down cross, but I’m talking about common uses here.

Comments

Cheryl said…
Writing in Spanish is definitely wrong and I am totally against it.
grrrbear said…
I hadn't thought about friendship pins in *years* - it was actually when I was writing this that I thought of them again.

They were sooo big in my junior high days. I had probably about a dozen or so. Doesn't sound like a lot but there were only about 70 people in my class at the time (small town school). I think they had pretty much died out by '89 though. Still, totally fun and something I expect my generation's kids will make at summer camp. Sort of like Lanyards...

http://www.webdelsol.com/Five_Points/issues/v7n1/collins.htm
Anonymous said…
"tchotchcumentaries" is my favorite neologism in a long time.
KC said…
Not only will the '00's be remembered for upside down Christmas trees, but also for all the multi-colored rubber bracelets that people wear to represent causes. Also, for all the ribbons representing causes. And for all the ribbon-looking bumper stickers representing causes.
grrrbear said…
Thanks! I just made it up yesterday. Come to think of it I can't find any references to it on Google - I wonder if my lifelong dream of inventing a new word has finally been fulfilled...