If the term used a lot of Q's and X's I'd be a hero to Scrabble Players everywhere

I wonder why the dairy lobby hasn't used this as a plot for one of their commercials? They could stage a mini-re-enactment all the way up through the trial...

Prosecutor: "And to think all along while you were planning this horrific crime - the object of your desire actually turned out to be nothing more than a large hunk of cheese! Don't you feel ashamed of yourself?"

Jessica (coolly): "I'm sorry but you don't understand...that was the whole point!"

[murmurs echo through the courtroom as the judge gavels for order]

Voiceover: "Behold, the power of cheese!"


What bothers me the most about this story is not the crime itself. After watching as many episodes of COPS! as I have it's easy to believe the ridiculous levels of idiocy present in the backwaters and backalleys of America. No, what irritates me is that simply because she's an 18 year old, the story refers to her as a "woman". This is the height of silliness, as anyone knows that 99.4% of all 18 year olds are too ignorant to think about the logical conclusions of their actions at any particular moment. Frankly, I blame the military. It's because of them and their "You are ours from 18 until 26" draft policy that sent all those kids overseas to get shot and gave credence to the "we're old enough to die, we should be old enough to vote" argument. And now every time I see an article where some twit who robbed a Denny's is referred to as an "18-year old man" I die inside a little.

The solution to this is obvious - we need a new term to describe people who are too old to be considered children but not old enough to be adults. I'm not suggesting that we treat them any different, mind, I just want a term. If they get drunk and kill somebody - put them away for life I really don't care. Just don't call them a man. But the problem is that I have no idea what sort of term would be appropriate. "Insurgent" is free now that it's not being used to describe terrorists in Iraq anymore. Maybe that's a start.

Comments

towwas said…
I got a lecture about how we should be referring to each other as "women" in my first week or so at Our Alma Mater. The lecture was from my women's studies major RA. I managed to do it for a while, but I had to go back to "girl" eventually. Sometimes I mix it up with "chick." Ok, and I do on occasion use "woman."
Stacey Pelika said…
I got the same lecture from my RA the year before - and I'm incredulous that the RA of which you speak (who was also my RA that year, for those of you not in the know) actually did something functional!
ThatIsMeWhat said…
I'm partial to "Tard", as in, the young tard robbed a bank while texting his friends on his phone.
OleNelson said…
I'd stick with "twit." It's both accurate and amusing.