Still, one has to appreciate the work that went into the parody

While I'm not typically much of the "club-hopper" type, I have recently become quite fond of club tunes. I find they make drives shorter, workouts faster, and generally put a little pep in my step. Needless to say, I don't know anything about the DJ's who put this stuff together, but I imagine they are all robots or the AV geeks from high school all grown up. Because of this, I'm forced to use the opinion's of other people to find new music for the iPod, and in this case, that means the "most popular downloads" from the dance genre of iTunes. That's how I found the single of "Call on Me" by Eric Prydz - who, despite the lack of vowels in his last name is Swedish.

I thought the tune was okay, until I saw the video, which, because of repeated viewings has not only made me wistful for 80's aerobics fashion but also made this song itself the ultimate earworm. Apparently the video itself is quite popular, because it has spawned a fantastic parody that should be mandatory viewing for gender studies majors everywhere.

The differences between the two videos highlight the different responses that men and women would have to the videos, based on my own response for the guys and guessed at completely for the ladies:

Men viewing video #1: Jaw hangs slightly ajar and blinking all but ceases. The one guy character is ignored completely. Predominant thought in the mind is "Wow, I haven't seen flexibility like this since the Rhythmic Gymnastics World Championships...I wonder if those are trained aerobics professionals?".

Women viewing video #1: Look of skepticism on face. Predominant thought = "They all have eating disorders. The guy's cute though. I wonder where she got that top?"

Men watching video #2: Silent prayer of thanks to the man who invented biker shorts. Inner belief that "I could do that routine better than these guys, they suck. Still, that chick's kinda hot."

Women watching video #2: Immediate collapse onto floor - laughing hysterically. Quickly imagine what the men in their lives would look like doing the routine and laugh even harder. Silent prayer of thanks to the man who invented biker shorts. Wonder to themselves "Is she dating that guy in real life?"

See, we're not all *that* different. We both appreciate whoever invented biker shorts.

Comments

Unknown said…
Women don't find the second video alluring? Both videos are just average-looking, moderately-fit folks doing aerobics - maybe the only difference is women's unreachably high standards of male beauty, that don't let them see that the young men in video #2 are just as attractive as the young women in video #1.
Jay Noel said…
Biker shorts...oh man....black with a little neon stripe down the side...oh Good Lord, that's funny just thinking about.
KC said…
That was so funny! As I was watching video #1, I kept thinking "how long is this going to go on?". As I was watching vid #2, I was thinking "my husband would never let down his 'cool' guard long enough to do a video like this, but if he did it would be hella funny!"