Mÿnd you, hïnge bites kan be pretti nastï

Yesterday was a day of discovery - I learned that metal has a death wish for me. Not necessarily all metals, but it seems that iron and its gang of hangers-on* have chosen me as the target of their cold-formed wrath. This is a problem for me because I work with metal stuff on a pretty regular basis as part of my job. Mind you, hardware can be pretty dangerous – there are lots of sharp edges, corners, and occasional rough spots where stamping or cutting was done with dull blades. And of course there’s always the potential for tetanus.

But yesterday metal across the Chicagoland area decided to gang up on me. First I had a spring-loaded lid support slash open my thumb while trying to figure out how it worked, then after work as I’m coming out of the grocery store I find that I’ve got a flat tire. Wouldn’t you know as soon as I get the tire off I discover a large chunk of metal lodged in the treads, looking at me smugly. Either I had run over it on the way to the store, or the tire had been hit by a meteor strike while I was inside. Given the location on the tire, I think it’s more likely the former, but I’m not ruling anything out at this point.

Lots of adventures are on tap for this weekend. The GF is taking me to the Low concert tonight for my (slightly) early birthday present, tomorrow we’re going to see Pericles at the Goodman, and Sunday we’re going to a Blackhawks game with some friends of mine from B-school. I haven’t been to a live hockey game since I was in high school, but I’m looking forward to it even though I’m not a big ‘hawks fan. There’ something about watching hockey live that’s sooo much more fun than watching on TV. Maybe it’s the fact that you’re watching the violence live.

* Steel, namely. Both plain alloy steel and stainless. The bastards.

Comments

KC said…
Sounds like you have a great weekend ahead! I'd love to see Pericles. Did I ever tell you that I work with St. Louis Shakespeare? Our next production is Midsummer (starting March). The upcoming summer season will include Troilus & Cressida, Much Ado, and also Metamorphosis. Come down to St. Louis and see some shows!
towwas said…
See, I told you parking lot poltergeists read blogs. They're in league with the metal.
Jay Noel said…
I hope you had a great weekend.
ThatIsMeWhat said…
Yeah, way to rule out meteorite! I've been attacked by metal before, but usually there's someone wielding it. Happy birthday!
Nobody said…
Happy Belated Birthday Sweet Pea!!! ;)