Not since Milo & Otis has interspecies friendship been so cute

I find it fascinating that in a time where kids can't get along with their parents*, Republicans can't get along with Democrats, and terrorists can't get along with anyone I find a tiny bit of solace in the fact that two of earth's longest-warring factions seem to have agreed to a cease-fire. Yes my friends, only a few days after Martin Luther King's birthday was celebrated across the country, it was announced that snakes and hamsters have decided to lay down their arms and live in peace. Myself, I love the picture of the snake and his new buddy (named “meal” in Japanese) sitting in their new home. When the GF saw it she declared Meal to be the “cutest hamster ever” and I find it hard to argue.

But I got to wondering, what do they talk about all day? Sure, the whole opposites attract thing is fun and exciting and oftentimes leads to short-term passion and chemistry. Case in point, was I the only one who saw the mojo flowing between Paula Abdul and the hip dancing animated cat in the “Opposites Attract” video? I thought not. But think, when was the last time you saw them together? No doubt the cat is now hanging out with Chris Judd and Tawney Kitaen at some dive bar somewhere plotting their next big comeback project. We can only hope that they are already making plans to include Kevin Federline as a pseudo-professional courtesy, figuring he’s at about minute 13.50 at the moment.

I would imagine the dinnertime conversation between Meal and the snake goes something along these lines:

Meal: So, how was your day?

Snake: Good. Sat around the cage mostly.

Meal: I know, I was here too remember?

Snake: Oh yeah. Did you see the keeper totally hitting on the cleaning girl this afternoon?

Meal: Please, that guy will hit on anything with a pulse. Sometimes he pets me and I start to feel a little uncomfortable.

Snake: Well, if it’s that bad, why don’t you do something about it?

Meal: What should I do? Not everyone has fangs and a scary hiss you know.

Snake: I could bite him for you.

Meal: [Bemused] Aw, my hero.

Snake: I’m just sayin’…

Meal: I know.

[Silence for a few minutes as they eat]

Meal: (sigh) Pellets again…I wish they would bring in a nice leaf of lettuce once in a while.

Snake: Um, some of us don’t eat lettuce, remember?

Meal: Oh yeah, what are you eating then?

Snake: Umm…nothing.

Meal: [looking over] What do you mean nothing? I can see something coming out of your mouth…oh my god is that a tail?

Snake: Listen, we’ve been through this…

Meal: No! That’s it! It is not acceptable for you to keep eating my relatives!

Snake: Well it’s not like I have any other option, do I? That's what they keep giving me! What, you want me to eat you?

Meal: [runs out of the room crying hysterically]

Snake: Dammit, I need a beer. If only I had arms to open one…


Yup. In a way I can’t help but think that dinner at the Spears-Federline household is something similar these days. But at least these two find a way to make it work. Maybe it’s because they are locked in a cage together. I wonder if we could solve the problems in Iraq by just locking all of them in a cage together for a few months…

*Just a side note, why has this not swarmed over all the national news yet? I mean, they wanted to open a COFFEE SHOP!?!?! WTF?!?

Comments

grrrbear said…
At January 19, 2006 3:48 PM, Erin said...
Silly [grrrbear], you know that nothing about Minnesota never actually makes the news.
towwas said…
I read this in the paper today, and I was all set to use my deep knowledge of Japanese to tell you that the little rodent (I forgot what kind of rodent it is already) was named "food" - but I see you beat me to it. Instead I will tell you that the snake is named something I will loosely translate as "little green," which is a much less entertaining fact.
grrrbear said…
I also appreciated the inadvertant humor of the AP story covering this. And I quote:

"Gohan and Aochan make strange bedfellows: one's a 3.5-inch dwarf hamster; the other is a 120 yard-long rat snake"

120 yards! Holy crap it's Jormangund!!!

...and he loves hamsters. Who knew?