Quickie - Spot the Crime against Language

I'll get to the story of the focus group later on today, but I had to point this out. Articles like this one get my dander up. I’m such a grammar Nazi that when I read this my jaw actually dropped completely off my face. I thought the AP was supposed to have standards? Maybe they fired all their editors…

Associated Press Feb. 8, 2006 08:40 AM
SHERIDAN, Colo. - The Super Bowl turned out to be a blast for a Colorado couple, but not the way they figured it.

According to authorities, Norman Frey and his girlfriend planned to set off some homemade fireworks at a Super Bowl party Sunday.

Arapahoe County Sheriff Grayson Robinson says the couple blew up their car while transporting a balloon filled with explosive gas. Robinson says it's amazing they weren't killed.

The balloon contained acetylene, the gas used in welding torches. Robinson says static electricity may have set off the explosion.

Both the man and woman suffered busted eardrums. Frey now faces a felony explosives charge, but his girlfriend won't be prosecuted.

Comments

towwas said…
I thought I was the grammar nazi! Ok, but I read the story three times and I don't see it. I guess I have to surrender my crown.
Unknown said…
I wasn't going to admit that I didn't see, it, but now that a journalist has broken the ice...

I giggled a little bit that they used "busted" when they probably meant something that sounded less like playground-talk, though.
Annie said…
Is it the omission of the word "that" after "says"? "He says it doesn't matter," vs. "He says that it doesn't matter"?
towwas said…
I giggled at "busted" too - I was like, way to get juvenile adjectives past your editor, Mr. AP Man!
grrrbear said…
Actually, it was the use of the word "busted" I was referring to. Granted, it's probably not *technically* a grammatical "error", but I still consider it to be a gross abuse of proper English.
towwas said…
Oh, I just thought it was funny. I think it's proper english - it's an adjective modifying "eardrums."
grrrbear said…
Maybe I'm wrong on this, but shouldn't it technically be that they "suffered *from* busted eardrums"?

I'm probably likening it to how I think it should have been written - using "burst" instead of "busted"; e.g. "both suffered from burst eardrums".

Again, I'll open it up to the masses, as I really am curious what is correct.
towwas said…
Well, if someone had broken a leg, you'd say "suffered a broken leg." You wouldn't say "suffered from a broken leg."

Oh, I think I know what the problem is: suffer actually has two slightly different meanings. "Suffered" without "from" means "experienced [something bad]," while "suffered from busted eardrums" means "miserable as a result of the busted eardrums." Which would be incorrect, because for all we know, they might have enjoyed the busted eardrums.

And "busted" is just funnier than "burst."