Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing

Well this week has sucked. After getting my bracket busted and being clobbered by neurological “issues” earlier in the week and sleeping more than I’ve been awake for the past three days I’m finally starting to get my life together. Yesterday I celebrated by allowing myself to stay up until 9:30 to watch the season premiere of South Park. After hearing all the hype about Isaac Hayes leaving in a Scientology-induced hissy-fit of pseudo-values, I was expecting a hysterical episode. I mean, really, what’s funnier than Scientology? As anyone who witnessed the “Tom Cruise wont Come out of the Closet” episode – Trey and Matt know how to rip on crazy religions.

But after watching it I have to say I’m really pretty disappointed. In fact, I think the show may have just jumped the shark. Maybe it was all the jokes about pedophilia (which I just don’t find funny), maybe it was the “disguising” of Scientology as the “Super Adventure Team” (which I thought was unnecessary – just call it Scientology and say they are crazy people). The whole episode felt like Matt and Trey were just really really pissed at Hayes for leaving and were determined to rip him and Scientology to bits. But none of it was terribly funny. Sure, Kyle’s little eulogy at the end was a nice touch (“We should be mad at that fruity little club for scrambling his brain”) but in general, the dream I had last night where my dad lived in a house full of secret doors and hidden rooms was way funnier.

At least I still can count on the Daily Show.

Comments

Stacey Pelika said…
I saw bits of SP during the 9 o'clock showing and thought it looked funny, and then was disappointed when I saw the full thing at 11. I agree that they went too far - when Chef was burned, then crashed on rocks, then was impaled, then was eaten by a mountain lion and a bear (Colbert freak out!), and then expelled his bowels. Well, too far. Especially since they kept trying to say it was the 'club' not Chef, but the pedophilia thing didn't make any sense so the whole thing, until the end, just made it look like they were dissing on Chef.

The patched-together Chef voice was pretty funny though: "You bet!" "Thank you!" "Do you want to...lick my chocolate salty balls...children?"
KC said…
I haven't seen the episode yet. In fact, I haven't seen the Scientology/Tom Cruise episode yet. Oh well, maybe one day I'll see them.

Hey, I love bloggers who quote Shakespeare. "Lay on, Macduff,
And damn'd be him that first cries, 'Hold, enough!' "
Jay Noel said…
Good to hear you're getting back on your feet again.

I saw the Scientology episode. I thought it was so incredibly funny. I believe I had done a post about Scientology just before I saw it.

The Daily Show is always good for laughs.
Stacey Pelika said…
The Scientology episode is (or, perhaps until recently, was) available in its entirety through Salon's Video Dog. I thought it was hilarious, and just last night broke out into R. Kelly singing "Tom Cruise is in the closet...He's still in the closet."
J.Po said…
Darth Chef was funny .... wasn't it?? I dunno. I watched intermittently while dosing in jammies.