"I ate him with some jelly beans and a nice Capri-Sun"

I ran across this site while doing an image search on Google* and am fascinated with the possibilities. Sure, it's nowhere near Halloween but I can't wait that long to share it, as for all I know you all have friends graduating from medical school this summer and no idea what to get them. So throw convention to the wind and make them a cake that doubles as their first chance at real surgery!

You could also probably throw in gummi candy between the layers once the cakes were baked. A gummi heart for the heart, gummi worms for intestines, and so forth. It'd be like a real-life game of Operation, only without the annoying buzzing sound and bothersome legal issues regarding what to do with the body once you have successfully removed the "butterflies in the stomach" and "water on the knee". Also, I think I would probably use Twinkies for the arms and legs rather than bother with marshmellows, which would probably roll all over the place trying to escape when you try to frost them. Even better, if you use *two* twinkies per appendage you could even articulate the limbs, thus creating a more realistic overall effect!

As I've noted before, the GF is a ginormous halloween fan. If she has a party this year I'm *sooo* making one of these. Even if I have to buy a set of nestable pyrex baking pans.

*No, I don't recall precisely what I was looking for but rest assured it wasn't "pastry-centric pseudo-cannibalism"

Comments

Jay Noel said…
That would be so cool. You'd cut the cake open, and a bunch of gummi worms woudl come spilling out. YES!
J.Po said…
The one who studies whales came through the B.A. in September and arrived on her b-day. Her whole fam was in town for a wedding and I had them over for a b-day party (30th, yo). I baked a cake in the shape of a whale (I think I posted on my blog) and the one who studies whales cut into it as though she were performing anatomical studies. Very similar. Maybe I should bake Sophist a yeast-shaped cake and she could explore the mitochondria or something. But then, the yeast cake's been done - summer of '96 for my college advisor.
KC said…
Have you ever seen the cake made to look like a dirty kitty litter box? It looks so authentic that I don't think I could eat the cake.
http://tinyurl.com/369t9
grrrbear said…
OMG that is a Halloween-tastic site! I'm so sending it to the GF.

Thanks KC, you just scored me huge boyfriend points!
Annie said…
My brother went to an interview for residency (he's a surgeon) where they had to carve sailboats out of bars of soap using scalpels and stuff. I imagine a cake would be tastier!