Hopefully, I'm too low-energon to be appetizing

After being so overwhelmed with television 9/11 tributes over the weekend*, I sought refuge by going to art shows**, hosing off and folding the tent from the muddy camping trip***, watching football all day Sunday and then doing dinner with B.Da. Dealing with the tent was a pain because it’s just slightly too big to fit on my back deck, but I set it up there anyway and let it hang over the railing to dry, which worked pretty well actually.

Anyway I’m not going to blog about 9/11 today for a variety of reasons that you can probably guess anyway. Instead I’m going to write about something that has been bothering me for a while now, prompted in small part by this article in cracked that I found eerily accurate****.

I am indeed scared that eventually mankind will be eaten by robots. I know I’m not the first person to worry about this, as there are plot devices scattered throughout pop culture where man creates machine that eventually seeks to kill him*****. So even though the author is writing said article to include a heaping dose of sarcasm, I really do worry sometimes that my grandkids are going to be the Linda Hamiltons of the future, battling robo-killing machines and trying to stop their efforts to become Governor of California******.

Of course, this doesn’t mean I’m a complete robophobe. I still use my cruise control, and that’s pretty much a robot equivalent for my right foot. Once they come up with a robotic equivalent for my left foot******* then I’ll start building up my stock of energon to use to bribe my way to safety.

* I mean they were everywhere. Discovery Channel, History Channel, network news, etc. I’m surprised Cartoon Network didn’t have one. Am I the only person who simply can’t watch them anymore?
** And yes, buying another painting. Interestingly enough, this has resulted in my place finally having the same number of original art pieces as framed posters of art (which was my décor-of-choice for most of my 20’s).
*** Yes, I know I haven’t blogged about it yet. I would but I keep coming up with more topical things to blog about. Plus I can’t find where I put my digital camera with all the pics on it.
**** Except for the part about guys watching Jem and the Holograms – I never watched that show.
***** E.g. Asimov’s “I, Robot”, Syndrome in “The Incredibles”, Yul Brenner in “Westworld”, everything in “The Matrix”
****** Crap! It’s too late!
******* Or Daniel Day Lewis, for that matter

Comments