Monday, September 11, 2006

Hopefully, I'm too low-energon to be appetizing

After being so overwhelmed with television 9/11 tributes over the weekend*, I sought refuge by going to art shows**, hosing off and folding the tent from the muddy camping trip***, watching football all day Sunday and then doing dinner with B.Da. Dealing with the tent was a pain because it’s just slightly too big to fit on my back deck, but I set it up there anyway and let it hang over the railing to dry, which worked pretty well actually.

Anyway I’m not going to blog about 9/11 today for a variety of reasons that you can probably guess anyway. Instead I’m going to write about something that has been bothering me for a while now, prompted in small part by this article in cracked that I found eerily accurate****.

I am indeed scared that eventually mankind will be eaten by robots. I know I’m not the first person to worry about this, as there are plot devices scattered throughout pop culture where man creates machine that eventually seeks to kill him*****. So even though the author is writing said article to include a heaping dose of sarcasm, I really do worry sometimes that my grandkids are going to be the Linda Hamiltons of the future, battling robo-killing machines and trying to stop their efforts to become Governor of California******.

Of course, this doesn’t mean I’m a complete robophobe. I still use my cruise control, and that’s pretty much a robot equivalent for my right foot. Once they come up with a robotic equivalent for my left foot******* then I’ll start building up my stock of energon to use to bribe my way to safety.

* I mean they were everywhere. Discovery Channel, History Channel, network news, etc. I’m surprised Cartoon Network didn’t have one. Am I the only person who simply can’t watch them anymore?
** And yes, buying another painting. Interestingly enough, this has resulted in my place finally having the same number of original art pieces as framed posters of art (which was my d├ęcor-of-choice for most of my 20’s).
*** Yes, I know I haven’t blogged about it yet. I would but I keep coming up with more topical things to blog about. Plus I can’t find where I put my digital camera with all the pics on it.
**** Except for the part about guys watching Jem and the Holograms – I never watched that show.
***** E.g. Asimov’s “I, Robot”, Syndrome in “The Incredibles”, Yul Brenner in “Westworld”, everything in “The Matrix”
****** Crap! It’s too late!
******* Or Daniel Day Lewis, for that matter

No comments:

After all, Elmo seems equally disinterested in both...

I have a hard time believing that Elmo was traumatized by Katy Perry's decollatage after discovering that he had already "been arou...