Depending on who you ask, spring in the Midwest is typically described as either “unexpected variety” or “utter chaos”. Nothing describes this better than the last couple weeks. A week-and-a-half ago we had a high of 38 degrees, yet this past weekend was marked by our first foray into the 80’s. Just to shake things up though, mother nature coupled that with winds nearing 40 mph just so we’d remember we live in tornado country. The GF and I spent a portion of a lazy Sunday watching my plastic deck furniture get blown about like flakes in a snowglobe before I went out and stacked it up to prevent further shenanigans*.
Other than that the most notable parts of the weekend included:
- Not getting sunburned on the “first sunny day” for the first time in years. Thanks SPF 40 sunscreen!
- Buying four new belts that all fit perfectly! And, the related disposal of old belts that had deceived me with illusions of proper size.
- Making a really tasty dinner out of tomatoes, chickpeas, onion, scallions, and garlic, all mixed together and stewed with some chicken-soup-like** broth. Sure, it was from a cookbook and we used organic tomatoes that cost $1.25 each when canned could have been fine, but it still tasted good.
- Learning what scallions are.
- Discovering that clever entrepreneur has developed “herbs in a tube” – mixing various herbs with water*** so they can be squeezed from a tube like toothpaste. No, we didn’t buy any.
- Finishing dinner with enough time to go see “Hot Fuzz” and totally scoring free street parking right next to the theater.
All in all, a good weekend. Now all I have to do is sit back and wait for my new shoes to show up!
* Or lawsuits in the event it got blown off the deck entirely.
** Vegetarian friendly for the GF, naturally.
*** And freakishly large amounts of preservatives, no doubt.