Quickie - Well TURN IT UP!

You know, here I thought the reason I hated this commercial was because the two "dudes" were so friggin' annoying:

Freedom Rock

Posted Nov 01, 2006

"Hey man, is that Freedom Rock?!'



But no, what I had forgot was that it's so ridiculously *long*! I mean, do they even *make* 90 second commercial spots anymore? Sheesh...

Still, I must admit that the first few lines are still a great inside joke for us late Gen-X, early Gen-Y folks. All you have to do is say "Hey, man...is that Freedom Rock?" and the laughter will roll down like rain. Ah, good times.

Comments

Stacey Pelika said…
Hey man, that brought back some memories!

Also, it's hilarious that you can pick between LPs, cassettes, and CDs, and that the CDs are so much more expensive! Remember when CDs used to be packaged in those cardboard longboxes so they'd fit in the old record racks?
J.Po said…
When I think of this ad, I think of you ... and me, in college - quoting the ad. Repeatedly. Do you have the same memory?
ThatIsMeWhat said…
Whoever thought up these commercials needed antipsychotics, but thank god for them anyway.
grrrbear said…
Spice - I thought the reason for the old cardboard longboxes for CDs was to make them harder to shoplift. But I'm old now and my memory ain't what it used to be.

J.Po - Totally remember that. But as I recall we made ourselves sound even more high than these guys. When I heard it again, I was actually kind of surprised how fast and clearly they talked relative to what we used to do.

Grafs - Is that all? One would think pharmacists like yourself would have devised a complete "anti-hippie" drug cocktail by now...
Stacey Pelika said…
Oh yes, that too! CDs were so exotic that they had to be protected like rare gems.
towwas said…
Yeah, I remember the record bin reason, too - stores didn't want to retrofit for this newfangled technology. However, I do not remember this commercial. They probably covered the longbox story on NPR. It's the only possible reason I could know it.